Re: [xsl] disable-output-escaping for attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] disable-output-escaping for attributes
From: Victor <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 01:23:41 +0200
Michael Kay wrote:

BTW why has it been removed (from the draft) ?

We decided to deprecate disable-output-escaping altogether in XSLT 2.0 because of the architectural problems it causes (it requires close-coupling between the transformation engine and the serializer, which prevents transformations being pipelined). And it didn't make sense to extend the scope of a feature and deprecate it at the same time.

For writing ASP pages, character maps are a much better solution.

Maybe I didn't get whole picture about character maps but they seem overly complicated in contrast to "just" use DOE (expecially because input and output will look very different)
When haveing to decide for make things complicate for users or developers of an API I would choose the developers (as a developer maybe you see it different ;-)
I think that there are a lot of man hours lost from people who think things may just work and try to work out a solution.
Also there are reasons to have XML only as source format and be free in the way the output will look like.

Victor