Re: [xsl] AltovaXML Parser

Subject: Re: [xsl] AltovaXML Parser
From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:57:49 -0400
Jacoby, Peter R. wrote:
I recently noticed that Altova, the makers of XML Spy, have released their XSLT
parser as a free stand-alone component to be used in application development.

Interesting and commendable, but it's important to note that this is free-as-in-beer, not as in speech. It is very much closed source. I could see using this to test the relative conformance or performance of different engines, but for actual production use I feel much safer with a genuine free-as-in-speech parser. I've managed to find bugs in every single XML parser and XSLT transformer I've ever used, and this has led me to a great appreciation for software that enables me to fix the bug and/or to report it with some hope it will be fixed in the future.

--
o;?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx