Re: [xsl] Simple (external XML) internationalization with XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Simple (external XML) internationalization with XSLT?
From: knocte <knocte@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:58:23 +0200
Robert Koberg escribis:
knocte wrote:

Interesting but, cannot this be done without so much writting in each i18n call? Can't it be simplified? Isn't there other method?

Cannot I write something like this?:

<i18n:text key="1" />

And transform it automatically to:

<xsl:value-of select="document('en-US.xml')//i18n:language/i18n:hash-list/i18n:string[@key='1']"

/>

Hi,

Do you want the localized text to be resolved at transform time? In other words, are you transforming out to something like JSP and that should resolve it at runtime?

Or if your transformation happens at runtime you couold look at how cocoon handles this:

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/transformers/i18n-transformer.html

best,
-Rob

Yes, the internationalization transformation should be made at runtime. I am looking at the specs you sent me and seem very very interesting, just the thing I was looking for. Unfortunately, I can't use a Java implementation so I think I am going to do it myself. However, I won't need anything more than some XSLT routines.

Thanks very much.

Andrew