Re: [xsl] looping over a string?

Subject: Re: [xsl] looping over a string?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:55:04 GMT
> Unfortunately I don't have an option of having an input document with 26
> nodes.

most xslt1 systems (apart from mozilla) allow a node-set extension so you can
define this all within the stylesheet, no need for an external document
if you don't want one.

> Maybe I'd be better off with unrolling the loop, writing 26
> variations of xsl:call-template?

That is always an option of course, yes. More attractive in English than
some other languages, where the unrolled version might be rather long
(although that is also true of the "alphabet" document that I was suggesting)

in xslt2 you will be able to  just do

<xsl:for-each select="65 to 90">
  <xsl:variable name="thisletter" select="codepoints-to-string(.)"/>

which is so much more fun, again the above looks nicer than it is really
as it takes advantage of the fact that the 26 letters of the uppercase
english alphabet appear in the correct order contiguous sequence in
unicode, but if you are using this 26 letter alphabet, that's all you
need.

David

http://www.star.net.uk