RE: [xsl] Out OF Memory Exception for Large XML data

Subject: RE: [xsl] Out OF Memory Exception for Large XML data
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:13:37 -0000
>          I am having a transformation in which the source file size is
> large. The source xml size is around 200 MB. So my
> transformer throws Out of
> Memory exception after some time. I am using Xalan. This
> issue also comes
> when i use Saxon transformer. Is there a way by which i can set some
> transformer parameter to overcome this problem.

You can set the amount of memory allocated to java using something like

java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M net.sf.saxon.Transform ....

(or similarly for Xalan, of course).

I wouldn't attempt this with less than 1Gb of main memory.

If the transformation is essentially serial, take a look at

http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/sourcedocs/serial.html

to see if it provides a way forward.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/