Re: [xsl] How do I convert the use of onclick in HTML to work in XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How do I convert the use of onclick in HTML to work in XSLT?
From: "Jon Gorman" <jonathan.gorman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:36:11 -0600
This seems to be a common mistake with XSL.  It's a language designed
to produce a HTML page, it's not a special type of HTML page.

So in other words, what happens in a client-side transform is
something like this:
Browser sees an XML page, applies the stylesheet from the given
address, and presents the user with a results of this transformation,
a HTML page.  Any forms or javascript interact with the generated HTML
page, not the source XML page.  Hence you should be able to generate
the exact html that you previously used and the user will interact in
it as they did before.

I'm not entirely sure as to what effect frames would have on this
process since I've avoided frames as long as I've been developing web
pages.  It shouldn't be a huge deal.

> Below is the html that used onclick (in waivernav.html) to put the
> target frame in the right-hand frame:
>
> <TD ALIGN=center id=srch abbr="Search for a CMR">
>              <P><INPUT TYPE=button NAME=SearchSyLg VALUE="Search  CMRs
> "

onclick="window.top.b.location.href='FMPro?-db=WebWaivers.fp5&-lay=Normal&-fo
rmat=WaiverSearch.htm&-view';return
> true;"></P>
>           </TD>
> I have tried many different things

And the issue you're having with getting the XSLT to print that is
????  What have you tried?

Without knowing the source that you're transforming into html it's
rather difficult if not impossible to offer any advice.  I have no
experience dealing with Filemaker, and it seems a source of confusion
here rather than being of any help.

I'd highly suggest using an xslt processor that doesn't use the
browser (I tend to use saxon and xsltproc) until you understand XSL
enough to understand what you need to change and not to make random
guesses.  Also have FileMaker output the XML document so you can call
the xslt processor on the command-line and see the results.  It should
generate the page that you want.

You might want to investigate some tutorials for Filemaker and XSL. I
think you're tripping up on both details of what XSLT is and what
Filemaker's role is with the XSLT.

Jon Gorman