[xsl] RE: XSL-FO Question, borders across pages

Subject: [xsl] RE: XSL-FO Question, borders across pages
From: Jordan Soet <jds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:44:25 +0800
Thanks for your help. I don't know what was wrong with me, I tried it before
and I could've sworn that both boxes were closed off, which is why I went
and asked. Now I went back and output it again and the bottom of the box is
open. However, the top of the box on the next page is still closed, and the
bottom of the box of the next page is also open (even though the block ends
there). This is what it looks like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-netochka-/110287969/ . Here's the code for
that block:

		<fo:block font-size="11pt"
				font-family="Verdana"
white-space-collapse="false"
				border-color="black"
border-before-style="solid" border-start-style="solid"
border-end-style="solid" border-width=".5mm"> This is filler text. This is
filler text.

This is filler text. This is filler text. This is filler text.
				</fo:block>

I'm using FOP 0.20.5

Thanks,
Jordan

At 2006-03-09 09:24 +0800, Jordan Soet wrote:
>Hi, I'm new to xsl-fo and I have a question about a block with a border
>crossing over a page. What I'm wondering is if it's possible for the border
>to not close itself when it goes over the page, like this:
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/-netochka-/107114818/ . Or, if there's any
>other way to do this that doesn't involve blocks with borders, all I need
is
>the boxed text.

A conforming XSL-FO processor respects conditionality for the border
on the edge of a column-break (for block-oriented constructs) and on
the edge of a line-break (for inline-oriented constructs).

The default value for conditionality is discard, so the effect you
want should have been the default, that is, that the box would be
open at the bottom of the page.  A conforming processor will only
close-off the box at the end of the reference area when you set:

    border-width.conditionality="retain"

If you have that set and you want to restore the default of leaving
an open edge at the break, you set:

    border-width.conditionality="discard"

If your processor is by default closing off the end of an area at the
break of the reference area, then it sounds like it does not conform
to the specification.  If it doesn't conform, then I can't make any
suggestions to have it act as you wish.  If I've understood your
requirement, the default will give you block borders that are not closed.

I hope this helps.

--
Today is the last day of registration for next week's hands-on XSL courses.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Washington,DC 2006-03-13/17
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc