Re: [xsl] OT: Advice on Oxygen XML Editor

Subject: Re: [xsl] OT: Advice on Oxygen XML Editor
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:32:32 -0400
Hi Rick,

At 10:12 AM 7/7/2006, you wrote:
I am looking for a good XML editor and am considering Oxygen. If anyone has any opinions or other recommendations, I would appreciate it. I apologize if this question is not appropriate for the list.

oXygen has dynamite XSLT support so it's not completely OT (IMO), though you may be pushing about asking about its general XML editing ... we could probably get away with it as long as we don't follow the thread far (or if we bring it back to XSLT).

I think oXygen is an excellent XML editor for users who are not afraid of "getting wet" with the tags. If you want to edit XML while pretending you're using a word processor, there are better choices. It's like the difference between driving an automatic transmission and a stick. Personally I like to drive a stick, but there are plenty of people who can't get out of the parking lot that way. Also, people think driving a stick is hard, but it's not; it mainly just takes practice.

oXygen is one of the best kits out there if you do stylesheet development and modeling, and you need an IDE sort of thing with comprehensive coverage of XML techs like XSLT, schemas (XSD, DTD, RelaxNG, Schematron). It has many nifty features such as tag completion, schema-aware tagging and on-the-fly validation, deriving an XPath to the element your cursor is pointing at and copying it to the system clipboard, using XPath to query documents being edited, batch validation and transformation, etc. (And these is just for XML editing; its XSLT debugger is nothing to sniff at either.) For an XML/XSLT user-becoming-expert, it really offers "network effects": the same XPath you learn writing stylesheets becomes useful when editing documents, etc.

oXygen really benefits from being assembled, in part, out of commodity components of known quality and resilience (excellent applications written by master programmers such as Mike Kay, James Clark and others), as well as being in Java -- it runs the same on many platforms, which is a big benefit in a mixed-platform shop like the one I work in.

The oXygen development team is also very responsive to user feedback and loves to include features requested by us, their users, often in the very next release.

One weakness that may or may not be significant to you is that it requires decent horsepower to run. Fortunately Dr Moore is still hard at work on that.

Cheers,
Wendell