Re: [xsl] Good app to apply transformations automatically?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Good app to apply transformations automatically?
From: James Fuller <jim.fuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:08:20 +0200
Chad Chelius wrote:
Does anyone know of a good application that you could setup a hot folder or some other automated method with which I could apply transformations to files. I'm looking for something where I could tell the app to use my XSLT and then apply it to a bunch of files.

this really isnt anything to do with XSLT...but its a common pattern...soo.

a) use Ant in some continuous integration method (CruiseControl, Anthillpro) to control XSLT process

b) use cron job

c) if you use source control (like svn) use a post-commit hook to apply xslt on commit

d) if on unix/linux check out watch, dirwatch or if u need something a bit meatier try sgi_fam to watch a directory for changes to execute some action

e) you could (yes, my fav flavour of the year) use a smarter file system in the form of an XML database (exist.sourceforge.net) which is accessible via webdav/soap/REST...using this you could drop your files in eXist and then give HTTP URL to your app (with a _xslt= encoded param to instruct which XSLT file to use to transform on HTTP GET request)

gl, Jim Fuller