Re: [xsl] something I'd really like in XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] something I'd really like in XSLT
From: "bryan rasmussen" <rasmussen.bryan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:15:33 +0100
I suppose I should specify then that I am more concerned with the
import precedence, and secondly the priority.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen

On 1/23/07, David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I remember my lessons correctly, the precedence > is calculated by means of priority,

be careful of terminology: there is "import precedence" and "priority"
both of which affect which templates are used if multiple templates
match, but they are not directly related.

"import precedence" just relates to the stylesheet module that the
template is in, not to the form of the match pattern.

"priority" relates to the explict priority attribute, or if no such
attribute exists, to the default priority for the match pattern.

> based on how specific your match is. > Like "*" has less prio then "nodenamehere",

yes

> which has less prio then "/nodenamehere"

yes

> which has less prio then "/nodenamehere[predicatehere]".

no,
that has the same default priority (0.5) as neither /nodenamehere
nor /nodenamehere[predicatehere] are of the special forms that have
a different default priority,
see
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#dt-default-priority
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#dt-default-priority