Re: [xsl] Linking Variable to the Path

Subject: Re: [xsl] Linking Variable to the Path
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:20:18 +0200
Hi Yaswanth,

you seem to be quite unaware of the differences between client side and server side. Also, you seem to be unaware of the very basics of XSLT, XML and/or Java (JAXP). That is not a problem of course, we love to help starters, but the time that we save for well-posted questions can be put in helping you better, if you did your research before posting (i.e., read the faq, read the list guide lines and read some basic tutorials). Quite some starters pointers are mentioned here: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Transforming_XML_with_XSLT:For_Further_Reading (they are vendor independent).

The resources for Xalan are on the xalan website, for the Java version visit: http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/. Yes, you can use most of the EXSLT extensions: http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/extensionslib.html. And you can use xalan:script to use JavaScript with your XSLT (of course, this is not portable).

However, considering what I wrote in the first paragraph, it may very well be that you try something that is best resolved in a totally different way. It is generally not needed to make XPaths interpreted (there are use cases of course though) and it is often a sign of a bad design or architecture. Can you tell us, with examples, why you need to evaluate XPath expressions?

A final thought for now: since we've now found out that all you are doing is server side, you can just as easily change your code to use Saxon and this enables you to use XSLT 2.0 with all the major benefits it brings as opposed to XSLT 1.0.

Happy coding!

-- Abel Braaksma

Yaswanth Kumar Ravella wrote:
Hi Matthieu,

Thanks for replying!

I said Mozilla because I am using Mozilla Browser for only testing my sample
code and I don't know that it doesn't' support EXSLT!

My Vendor: Apache Software Foundation (Xalan XSLTC)

I am using Xalan!

Now does this support EXSLT?

I will work on it and will mail back the status soon.

So, how can I Link a Variable to Path?