[xsl] [XSL] id() in Ancestor Nodes?

Subject: [xsl] [XSL] id() in Ancestor Nodes?
From: Alice Ju-Hsuan Wei <ajwei@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 23:28:33 -0400
Hi,

I am trying to use the id function in XSLT to extract the publication id information from the "attribute" and have the output display the name of the publisher itself as it is. The complete code is as follows:

XML:

<bookshelf>
<bookshelfHeader>
<fileDesc>
<titleStmt>
<title>My Book Collection</title>
<principal>2007</principal>
</titleStmt>
<publicationStmt>
<topic>Technology</topic>
<date value="2007-10-03">2007</date>
</publicationStmt>
<sourceDesc>
<biblFull>
<titleStmt>
<title level="monograph" type="main">Technical Book Collection</title>
</titleStmt>
</biblFull>
</sourceDesc>
</fileDesc>
<profileDesc>
<publisherList>
<publisherItem>
<publication xml:id="apress">Apress</publication>
</publisherItem>
<publisherItem>
<publication xml:id="oreilly">O'Reilly</publication>
</publisherItem>
<publisherItem>
<publication xml:id="wrox">Wrox</publication>
</publisherItem>

           </publisherList>
       </profileDesc>
   </bookshelfHeader>
   <text>
           <bookGroup>
               <collection type="xslt">
                   <book publish="wrox" date="2002">
                       <title>
                           <emph>Beginning XSLT</emph>
                       </title>
                      <title>
                          <emph>Essential XML Quick
                          Reference</emph></title>
                   </book>
                   <book publish="oreilly" date="2003">
                       <title>
                           <emph>.NET and XML</emph>
                       </title>
                   </book>
               </collection>
           </bookGroup>
   </text>
</bookshelf>

XSLT that is Working but Hard to Manage:

   <xsl:template match="book">
                   <xsl:call-template name="bookpublisher" />
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="bookpublisher">
       Books Published by
       <xsl:choose>
           <xsl:when test="./@publish ='wrox'">Wrox</xsl:when>
           <xsl:when test="./@publish ='oreilly'">Oreilly</xsl:when>
       </xsl:choose>,
       <xsl:attribute name="class">
           <xsl:value-of select="./@date" />
       </xsl:attribute>.
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="title">
   <i><xsl:apply-templates/></i>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="emph">
   <b><xsl:apply-templates/></b>
</xsl:template>

There is no problem with the functionality of the code above, but when there are more id's to insert, I have to keep on adding the names to the "<xsl:when test=""> list. I tried using the id function:

<xsl:template name="bookpublisher">
       <xsl:variable name="name" select="id('@publish')"/>
           <xsl:value-of select="$name"/>
   </xsl:template>

The output does not give me anything other than the other information in the <xsl:apply-templates> section. Can anyone please tell me what I have done wrong?

Thanks to those who can help.

Alice