Re: [xsl] Re: XSL to ODF/OOXML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: XSL to ODF/OOXML
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:09:59 +0100
> Referring to David Carlisle's "Then you want <link> (and <br> etc rather
> than <link/> and <br/>"

> We use <br /> and <link /> (note the space) which is a useful halfway house
> markup for HTML

"Useful" as in works on current browsers which incorrectly implement HTML,
but

which means that in the case of br you should get a / character
appearing in the output, and in the case of link you should get a
validation error as character data (the /) is not allowed in the head
element.

Personally, I try to avoid relying on broken non conformant behaviour,
as there is always a chance that the software will be fixed one day and
then your document breaks. Actually this particular bug will never be
fixed because once you have several billion users relying on broken
behaviour, a competing principle of "the customer is always right"
kicks in and so if implementations and specifications don't agree the
specification gets changed (as may well happen in html5) but still...

David