Re: [xsl] Difference in priority of node() and *

Subject: Re: [xsl] Difference in priority of node() and *
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:16:05 GMT
> But if we/everybody is convinced, that what I have said (i.e. default
> priority of * should be higher than node() ) is correct; and that this
> is a better design, then in future version of the language, we can
> deprecate the old idea, and adopt the new design.

It would be far too much of a change to make keeping the same syntax
you couldn't make version="3.0" change the priority of node() you'd have
to introduce a new something() test to replace  node().

But I don't think there is any problem anyway, there is absolutely
nothing in the language that suggests that in general more specific
matches get a higher default template.

foo[x=1] is clearly more specific than foo[x &gt; 0] but they have the same
default priority. node() and * having the same priority is no different.

David