Re: [xsl] Slow XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Slow XSLT
From: Cleyton Jordan <cleytonjordan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:57:08 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Manfred,

I have now tested your suggestion against my old xlst
code and I have to confess that I was very impressed
with your solution!!

While you were working on you proposed soltuion I also
had a go to improve my old xlst using keys but you
solution is much much faster.

I have produced a very big xml (521 KB) to test all 3
solutions and your solution came on top by far.

I would like to send to you this xml and the
javascript test harness I used for you to have a go
yourself and see the difference. Do you mind if I post
the xml to your personal email address since it is
quite big to post in the forum? I am sure you will be
impressed with your own solution :-)

++++
Do you know any online tutorial, book or any other
training where they teache this technique you showed
me and maybe any other that is relevant to this type
development.

It appears I will have to read a lot on this topic
since my old xslt code looks really stupid now!!

I have read some books the best of them maybe was XSLT
1.0 by Michael Kay. However, I do not recall seeing
any example like that.

I think that your solution is head and
shoulders above anything I read before and extremely
well coded. Thank you!
+++

By the way these are the results of my test:

My Old XSLT
___________

The transfomation took between 30.00 and 40.00 seconds

Very slow

My New XSLT with Keys
_____________________

The transfomation took between 1.70 and 1.80 seconds

Much inproved perfomance

Your XSLT solution

The transfomation took between 0.20 and 0.38 seconds

Wow, this is fast.

Many thanks for the time and effort you put to help me
to come up with a better and faster solution.

Cheers

--- Manfred Staudinger <manfred.staudinger@xxxxxxxxx>