[xsl] FW: Variable changing and/or sequences

Subject: [xsl] FW: Variable changing and/or sequences
From: "Kermit Tensmeyer" <klt_7940@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 11:51:29 -0600
  Variables in a template can't be updated and so the use of recursion in
template calls with params with altered values is the current pattern of

 If I don't use recursion, is there a way to change a sequence?

  <variable name="list" select="fn:remove($list, xpath on list[@fp='X']">

 ah  heck  code example

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:template select="/">
    <xsl:variable name="nodelist" select="//files"/>
    <xsl:for-each select="/target/refer/set">
        <xsl:apply-templates select="."/>
        <xsl:variable name="tmpMatch" select="@path"/>
             remove each node in nodelist where attribute fp has value
    <for-each select="$nodelist"><xsl:apply-templates select="."/></for-
        <!-- so this is the set of  "files elements" nodes where @fp did not
match -->
<template et. al. />*

  I want to process the 2 set of nodes, one at time with for-each.
On the first nodelist <for-each select="/target/refer/set">, I
apply-template for the current node, and remove any node in the 2 set that
would match on criteria [identity, attribute match, what-ever]. When the
processing is complete, I want to <for-each> on the nodes that haven't been

Other than a pattern of recursion, what methods can I use to remove nodes
from a nodelist?

 == Kermit Tensmeyer