[xsl] Passing parameters to an indirectly called template after matching.

Subject: [xsl] Passing parameters to an indirectly called template after matching.
From: Kannan <riderchap@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 06:33:44 -0400
Hello group,

    I have a string replacement function. Also I have many XSL files
that need to make use of the replace functionality. I found there is
an include directive to include an XSL in another XSL. So that from
each XSL file I can call the replacement function with necessary
parameters. My problem is that I am not able to 'propagate' my
parameters from the template calling point to the template that
actually doing the string replacement.

    I am calling the a template that resides in the string replacement
XSL, from another XSL file like this for e.g..

    <!-- In file caller.xsl -->

    <xsl:include href="replaceXSL.xsl"/>

    <xsl:template match="ATag">
        <xsl:call-template name="ReplaceInXMLString">
            <xsl:with-param name="theNodeMatch" select="./*"/>
            <xsl:with-param name="stringToBeReplaced" select="&quot;'&quot;"/>
            <xsl:with-param name="replacementString" select="&quot;''&quot;"/>
        </xsl:call-template>
    </xsl:template>

    <!--End-->

    And in replaceXSL.xsl file, now I have two global variables (for
"stringToBeReplaced" and "replacementString" ), I don't want to use
these global variables, so that I can make my replacement
functionality generic. How do I "propagate" the parameters passed
("stringToBeReplaced" and "replacementString") from the client called
template "ReplaceInXMLString" to the template which doing the
replacement functionality (the "ReplaceString" template.)

    <!-- In file replaceXSL.xsl -->

      <!-- The globals I want to get rid of. -->
      <xsl:variable name="stringToBeReplaced" select="&quot;'&quot;"/>
      <xsl:variable name="replacementString" select="&quot;''&quot;"/>

    <!-- This is the template the client calls. -->
    <xsl:template name="ReplaceInXMLString">
        <xsl:param name="theTagMatch"/>
        <xsl:apply-templates select="msxsl:node-set(
    $theTagMatch)"/>
      </xsl:template>

      <xsl:template match="node()">
        <xsl:copy>
          <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|*|text()"/>
        </xsl:copy>
      </xsl:template>

      <xsl:template match="@*">
        <xsl:attribute name="{name()}">
          <xsl:call-template name="ReplaceString">
            <xsl:with-param name="stringInContext" select="."/>
            <xsl:with-param name="stringToBeReplaced"
select="$stringToBeReplaced"/>
            <xsl:with-param name="replacementString"
select="$replacementString"/>
          </xsl:call-template>
       </xsl:attribute>
      </xsl:template>

      <xsl:template match="text()">
        <xsl:call-template name="ReplaceString">
          <xsl:with-param name="stringInContext" select="."/>
          <xsl:with-param name="stringToBeReplaced"
select="$stringToBeReplaced"/>
          <xsl:with-param name="replacementString" select="$replacementString"/>
        </xsl:call-template>
      </xsl:template>

     <!-- Here is where I want the parameters I actually passed to the
    template ReplaceInXMLString -->
      <xsl:template name="ReplaceString">
        <xsl:param name="stringInContext"/>
        <xsl:param name="stringToBeReplaced"/>
        <xsl:param name="replacementString"/>
        <xsl:choose>
          <xsl:when test="contains($stringInContext
, $stringToBeReplaced)">
            <xsl:value-of
select="concat(substring-before($stringInContext,
$stringToBeReplaced),$replacementString)"/>
            <xsl:call-template name="ReplaceString">
              <xsl:with-param name="stringInContext"
select="substring-after($stringInContext,$stringToBeReplaced)"/>
              <xsl:with-param name="stringToBeReplaced"
select="$stringToBeReplaced"/>
              <xsl:with-param name="replacementString"
select="$replacementString"/>
            </xsl:call-template>
          </xsl:when>
          <xsl:otherwise>
            <xsl:value-of select="$stringInContext"/>
          </xsl:otherwise>
        </xsl:choose>
      </xsl:template>

    Thank you for your time. Any help greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Kannan