Re: [xsl] LINQ to XML versus XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] LINQ to XML versus XSLT
From: "Joe Fawcett" <joefawcett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:53:33 +0100
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 1:26 PM
To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I guess that we all agree that the new LINQ to XML API is the
greatest thing to happen to XML for a very long time.

No, proprietary languages are bad, however good they are.

And procedural languages will always be worse than declarative languages for
a very large class of problems.

Perhaps I'm not being fair, there are millions of programmers out there
churning out zillions of lines of inefficient and unmaintanable DOM code,
and anything that improves their lives is to be welcomed. But they already
have the opportunity to do that, and to adopt approaches that are both much
more powerful and less proprietary.

Michael Kay http://www.saxonica.com/

True but in LINQ's defence it is declarative, in the same mould as SQL.

Joe
http://joe.fawcett.name