Re: [xsl] Escaping <xsl:element> ouput

Subject: Re: [xsl] Escaping <xsl:element> ouput
From: Anirvan Majumdar <anirban.majumdar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:56:03 +0530
This is super stuff. Thanks so much to you David, and Michael.

I'm actually quite the novice at XSLT. What makes it worse is that my engagement with XSLT has always been an on-and-off affair. Since the XSLT related components are just a cog in the entire mechanism [dominated by the likes of Java], my involvement has been quite minimalistic.

However, I must really express my amazement at the speed at which help was forthcoming.

Really appreciate. Thanks!

As a small request, it would help me a lot if you could point me to some material, which helps one develop a sound understanding of XSLT. Most of the stuff available on the net seems to be more on the lines of a reference guide.

Thanks once again!

David Carlisle wrote:
I'm using the XSLT version 2.0
that simplifies things then.

so first generate the html that you need, don't worry about javascript

<xsl:variable name="html">
  <xsl:apply-templates.....
</xsl:variable>

so then if you went

<xsl:copy-of select="$html"/>

you'd get

          Name :
          <input type="text" value="[name_node_value]"/>

so what you want to do is

<xsl:apply-templates mode="javascript" select="$html"/>

together with templates such as

<xsl:template match="*" mode="javascript">
 <xsl:text>&lt;</xsl:text>
 <xsl:value-of select="local-name()"/>
 <xsl:apply-template select="@*" mode="javascript"/>
 <xsl:text>&gt;</xsl:text>
  <xsl:apply-template select="node()" mode="javascript"/>
 <xsl:text>&lt;/</xsl:text>
 <xsl:value-of select="local-name()"/>
 <xsl:text>&gt;</xsl:text>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="text()" mode="javascript"> <xsl:value-of select="replace(.,'&quot;','\&quot;')"/> </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="@*" mode="javascript"> <xsl:text> </xsl:text> <xsl:value-of select="local-name()"/> <xsl:text>=\"</xsl:text> <xsl:value-of select="replace(.,'&quot;','\&quot;')"/> <xsl:text>\"</xsl:text> </xsl:template>

David

incidentally despite the xsl:element in the subject line you only need
xsl:element if the element name is being calculated.
<xsl:element name="input">
<xsl:attribute name="type">hidden<xsl:attribute>
<xsl:attribute name="value">[some value computed before]</xsl:attribute>

I would write the above as

<input type="hidden" value="[some value computed before]"/>

using xsl:element and xsl:attribute when the element and attribute names
are known just tends to obfuscate the code.