Re: [xsl] [FO] Margin when a block breaks over a page

Subject: Re: [xsl] [FO] Margin when a block breaks over a page
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 07:43:38 -0400
At 2008-08-19 13:01 +1000, Kamal Bhatt wrote:
Thanks, I will give it a go. Pity XSL FO does not support this concept,

But it does! And I showed you how to get the results you need.

hopefully, this is something that will make it into the new version of the specification.

I'm unsure what you mean by "this" ... that lines of a block wrap to the top of the main reference area is part of a robust design that the committee implemented based on their collective experience and expertise.

You stated your problem as needing the lines on a page to start at a position below the top edge of the background graphic. This is no different than positioning background graphic at a position above the top edge of the lines that start on a page.

From what I can see on the page, you can get the desired effect of what you want without changing the design in any way. If you aren't seeing it then I would guess the formatter you are using is not supporting the specification properly.

Unless, perhaps, you haven't yet stated all of the requirements of your formatting problem. Do you need some kind of conditional property? Does the margin change perhaps only if the block of lines is broken but not if the block of lines is not broken? This isn't clear in your succinct posts.

I'm guessing it would be awkward for the committee to divine yet another new mechanism to somehow specify a concept of pushing down the text that starts on a new page, because of how such a new concept would interfere with or impact on all of the existing mechanisms that are designed into the specification.

One should exhaust all of the existing available options before adding new ones.

I hope this is considered helpful.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:      Wellington, NZ 2009-01