Re: [xsl] Result tree fragment to string?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Result tree fragment to string?
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:32:31 +0100
>>> A result tree fragment is not a string but it is also not a node set.
>>
>> True, but I think that's just a technicality... It's an artificial
>> restriction in XSLT 1.0 that was well intentioned but the decision was
>> quickly proved wrong.  It could be considered the biggest mistake in
>> 1.0, especially because it was so easy to remove the restriction.
>
> I agree it can be considered a mistake but the restriction is there in XSLT
> 1.0 processors and my post just tried to explain why the approach Andrew
> Houghton posted does not work with XSLT 1.0 processors.

Sure, I wasn't trying to say otherwise, just adding to your reply
(probably shouldn't have said "but"...  :)

>>> line 13 [...]. Cannot process a result tree fragment as a node-set under
>>> XSLT 1.0".
>>
>> I think that's a "feature" of 6.5... I'm pretty sure earlier versions
>> never complained.
>
> Are you saying earlier versions of Saxon 6 silently converted a result tree
> fragment to a node-set? That would have been a bug.

I'm pretty sure (well, reasonably sure) it did... but David C has said
otherwise, and he's usually right.  I seem to remember Mike and
Dimitre having some big discussions about it... I'll check the
archives at some point

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com