Re: [xsl] Xsl:strip-space and xsl:preserve-space (XSLT 2.0)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Xsl:strip-space and xsl:preserve-space (XSLT 2.0)
From: Evan Lenz <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:52:58 -0700
I got a message off-list that suggested to me that I wasn't very clear about this. To be clear, the template-rule approach below requires that you have xml:space="preserve" in the source document to prevent MSXML from stripping any whitespace. Of course, as a stylesheet writer, that may not always be within your control. But one way or another, you need to preserve whitespace, and I can only think of three ways to do that:

1. Use xml:space="preserve" in the source document,
2. Set the preserveWhiteSpace property to true in the MSXML API, or
3. Use a different XSLT processor.

A variation of #1 is to simply put xml:space="preserve" on all the <element1> and <element2> elements, but that might not be as practical.

Evan

Evan Lenz wrote:
On second thought, your original stylesheet will have to change, because <xsl:strip-space/> won't strip whitespace-only text nodes that have been force-preserved using xml:space="preserve" (which will be true for all whitespace in your document if you put that at the root element).

Instead of using <xsl:strip-space/> (and <xsl:preserve-space/>), you could use a template rule that processes whitespace-only text nodes that are not children of <element1> or <element2>:

<xsl:template match="*[not(self::element1 or self::element2)]/text()[not(normalize-space())]"/>

The rule is empty and thus has the effect of "stripping" them from the result.

Let me know if that works. :-)

Evan

Evan Lenz wrote:
Pankaj,

You can force MSXML to preserve whitespace by adding xml:space="preserve" to the root element of your document. Then your original stylesheet should work as desired. Let me know if that works.

Evan

Pankaj Chaturvedi wrote:
Not a good news for me.

Well anyways David/Michael thanks for looking into this.

Best,

Pankaj Chaturvedi