RE: Fwd: Re: [xsl] Xsl:strip-space and xsl:preserve-space (XSLT 2.0)

Subject: RE: Fwd: Re: [xsl] Xsl:strip-space and xsl:preserve-space (XSLT 2.0)
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:17:49 +0100
>     Ken>  -strip:all|none|ignorable
>
> I can't see any justification for this in the XSLT 2.0
> recommendation, other than the caveat of how a source
> document is constructed is outside the remit of the
> recommendation.

This switch is nothing to do with the Recommendation, which says processors
can do what they like. There are three common patterns of whitespace
handling: report all whitespace text nodes, report none, and report only
those in element-only content. People come to Saxon from other products and
complain that its default is different from the one assumed by their
stylesheet code; this switch allows you to emulate what your previous
processor did so you don't have to change your code.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/