Re: [xsl] FO Table widths - table-layout fixed behaviour and use

Subject: Re: [xsl] FO Table widths - table-layout fixed behaviour and use
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 15:36:10 -0400
At 2008-10-03 11:48 -0700, Karl Stubsjoen wrote:
Ok, thanks for clarifying Ken, and your interpretation of the specs is
always very helpful, for example, I do not fully understand what
"inline-progression-dimension" means.

The dimension along the inline-progression-direction, that is "the direction in which inline constructs stack on the page" ... contrasted with the block-progression-direction which is "the direction in which block constructs stack on the page" and its corresponding block-progression-dimension. Both of which are determined by the writing mode.

For our Western European writing, as well as Arabic, Hebrew or any writing with an inline-progression-direction from left-to-right or right-to-left, setting the width= sets the inline-progression-dimension.

However, always using the property width= is fluid because if the writing mode is "tb-rl" (for traditional Han printing as in newspapers) that is a specification for the block-progression-dimension, not for the inline-progression-dimension.

I see most of my students using width= for table cells, which is fine if they are only formatting left-to-right or right-to-left text, but I try to encourage my students to use inline-progression-dimension= and block-progression-dimension= so that the stylesheets are more portable across different writing modes and the dimensions reflect the text being flowed.

Unless, of course, they want the dimensions to be absolutely-oriented to the physical page in which case width= and height= will give those dimensions oriented thus regardless of the writing-mode= value.

When I'm lazy and not doing production work I just use width= and height=.

Check out: http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xsl11-20061205/#d0e4413

I hope this helps your understanding.

-- Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Wellington, NZ 2009-01 Training tools: Comprehensive interactive XSLT/XPath 1.0/2.0 video Video sample lesson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNjJCh7Ppg Video course overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTiodiij6gE G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07 http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal