Re: [xsl] zero width no-break space to prevent tag minimisation

Subject: Re: [xsl] zero width no-break space to prevent tag minimisation
From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:13:30 +0100
>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

To answer you original question: (from the Unicode FAQ):

"Q: What should I do with U+FEFF in the middle of a file?

A: In the absence of a protocol supporting its use as a BOM and when
not at the beginning of a text stream, U+FEFF should normally not
occur. For backwards compatibility it should be treated as ZERO WIDTH
NON-BREAKING SPACE (ZWNBSP), and is then part of the content of the
file or string. The use of U+2060 WORD JOINER is strongly preferred
over ZWNBSP for expressing word joining semantics since it cannot be
confused with a BOM. When designing a markup language or data
protocol, the use of U+FEFF can be restricted to that of Byte Order
Mark. In that case, any U+FEFF occurring in the middle of the file can
be ignored, or treated as an error."

So have you tried WORD_JOINER?

    Andrew> I don't think it's a bug... as far as I understand, IE
    Andrew> will always use its SGML parser regardless of whether its
    Andrew> parsing html or xhtml, and because of that <div/> is

Since they don't support xhtml.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire