Re: [xsl] zero width no-break space to prevent tag minimisation

Subject: Re: [xsl] zero width no-break space to prevent tag minimisation
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:20:37 -0400
At 2008-10-16 17:09 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
> the following instance renders correctly in Mozilla and Opera

what mime type?

I'm just opening the file from disk.

If it is served with text/html
 "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>
is full of suntax errors, and  /> should produce character data in the
 head, which is another error so

Did something get lost in my Eudora mailer? I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

> Is this not a browser problem?

no, whether anything is rendered at all depends on undocumented error
recovery that may or may not occur in the browser.

If it is served as application/xml
then
opera and mozilla will do what you expect, and IE will correctly (more
or less) parse it using msxml xml parser, the problem is not a parsing
one, it's a rendering one, the rendering is of the markup, with
javascript to allow folding the tree, as is done for any XML without an
<?xml-stylesheet link. Again that isn't a bug, it's conformant to the
specifications that it claims to support, it's just unhelpful.

The filename extension is ".xhtml".

In my customer scenario I am unsure how the files were being delivered on-the-fly, but authors doing a preview had the rendering problem with the bleeding formatting properties.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:      Wellington, NZ 2009-01
Video sample lesson:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNjJCh7Ppg