Re: [xsl] FO: gap between cells in a table

Subject: Re: [xsl] FO: gap between cells in a table
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:31:39 -0400
At 2008-10-21 11:50 +0200, Florent Georges wrote:
  I have to design a table in XSL FO, and the client would like
to have the overall layout like in the following image:

Looks to me like tables without gaps inside of table cells of a table with gaps.

  My question is about the gap between some of those cells (in
this image between "sub-tables" A, B, C and D, and the cell "Type
of activity".)  While in the "sub-tables" the borders should be

What is the best approach for this problem?

I would implement the sub-tables as individual tables.

  I thought to use a table with a gap between its cells and
without borders collapsing, its cells being sub-tabels which have
border-collapse="collapse".  Do you think it is a good idea?

Is there something easier?  What is the easiest way to set the gap
width between the sub-tables?

Since gaps are table-wide properties, I think embedding tables is best, and I haven't seen any tool support problems with embedded tables.

I hope this helps.

Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:      Wellington, NZ 2009-01
Video sample lesson:
Video course overview:
Crane Softwrights Ltd.
Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07