[xsl] [xslt performance for big xml files]

Subject: [xsl] [xslt performance for big xml files]
From: Aditya Sakhuja <aditya.sakhuja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:25:47 -0700
Hi,

I am looking for some tips on performance tuning for my xslt  which
processes a 30 MB file on an  avg.  I am haivng some serious issues
getting the processing completed under 24 hrs.
The transformation is completely CPU bound (memory usage is hardly 3-
4 %). CPU utilization remains around 99% throughout.

My specific question here is,whether these ideas would help reduce
processing time:

1> Splitting the big xml file to multiple files and then feeding it to
the xsltproc processor. does that sound the right thing, to reduce the
processing time overall.
2> I have done my testing using xsltproc (libxml2). Would Saxon
processor be an advantage here to use?
3> Does xslt processing not fit in for large xml file processing ?
Should I try looking other stream based processing over this, if xslt
does not scale ?

I am performing experiments in parallel,but wanted to get in feedback
from more experienced people with xslt.

Thanks in advance,

--
-Aditya