Re: [xsl] Maximum recursion depth exceeded

Subject: Re: [xsl] Maximum recursion depth exceeded
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:38:53 -0700
> I never said that Tail recursion is not supported in XSLT or
> system.xml.xsl. I said that the only .NET language I am aware of where
> it is supported is F# - I'm not sure if I would consider an XSLT
> compiled via XslCompiledTransform  to be a '.NET language' (I believe
> I used the example of C#) , I haven't really thought about it though -
> would you say it is?

I don't know what is your definition for a ".NET Language".
XslCompiledTransform is the latest .NET implementation of the XSLT 1.0
language. Whether XslCompiledTransform or F# are written in C# (or
VB.NET or any other language supported by the platform) has nothing to
do with the fact that they are language implementations officially
provided by .NET

> but
> it is annoying when I know I have a function that is properly tail
> recursive and it overflows anyway...(This would be a C# problem, not
> XSLT in System.XML.XSL)

This would be XSLT implementation problem (nothing to do with
recursion in C#), and only implementation problem, because there is no
text in the Specs of XSLT 1.0/2.0 that mandates the recognition and
optimization of tail recursion.