Re: [xsl] Re: question on random numbers for browser XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: question on random numbers for browser XSLT
From: Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt <STAMMW@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 00:28:27 +0200
Dimitre,

> > If you have decided to go with a service providing random numbers then
> > xslt-ish way (set based) to do it would be a service receiving a number
and
> > returning an xml with a specified number of random numbers.
> >

> Using a service to provide a random sequence is much more unreliable
> and inefficient than just doing this in pure XSLT, as this has been
> done by FXSL for many years:

http://fxsl.sourceforge.net/articles/Random/Casting%20the%20Dice%20with%20FXS
L-htm.htm

first of all, FXSL is a cool library and the documentation at the link is
informative.

I tried fxsl-1.2 and installed these necessary files on my webserver:
curry.xsl  iter.xsl  map.xsl  random.xsl  test-random.xsl

First I realized that it did work on FF3 and not on FF2 (because of the
missing
support of exslt:node-set there). Then I tried it on IE6 and it did not
work first.
After applying below patch it worked under IE6, too.
You may try it out here:
http://www.stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/xsl-list/random/fxsl-1.2/test-random.xml

The output is the same as generated by eg. "xsltproc test-random.xsl
some.xml", but
it is ALWAYS THE SAME output (try it repeatedly).

I knew of the different techniques in generating pseudo random numbers but
what
is really needed is to be able to provide a changing seed (eg. initialize
with
the number of seconds since 1/1/1970, time(NULL) in C).

Then I remembered the generate-id use of Scott, and after reading Michaels
last
post the following fragment seems to be an always changing value:
http://www.stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/xsl-list/random/scott.xml

        <xsl:variable name="seed"><a/></xsl:variable>
        <xsl:value-of select="generate-id(exsl:node-set($seed))" />

Now these values look different for different browsers, and need to
"somehow"
be converted to a seed value for FXSLs random generator.

Ideas?

from "http://dpcarlisle.blogspot.com/2007/05/exslt-node-set-function.html";
$ diff random.xsl.orig random.xsl
20c20,21
<  exclude-result-prefixes="xsl ext randScale myRandNext
mySingleRandDistFun x"
---
>  xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
>  exclude-result-prefixes="xsl ext msxsl randScale myRandNext
mySingleRandDistFun x".
30a32,36
>   <msxsl:script language="JScript" implements-prefix="ext">
>     this['node-set'] =  function (x) {
>       return x;
>     }
>   </msxsl:script>
$

Mit besten Gr|_en / Best wishes,

Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt
Developer, XML Compiler
WebSphere DataPower SOA Appliances
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschdftsf|hrung: Erich Baier
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bvblingen

             Dimitre Novatchev
             <dnovatchev@gmail
                                       xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             07/24/2009 11:00                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [xsl] Re: question on random
             Please respond to         numbers for browser XSLT
             xsl-list@xxxxxxxx
              lberrytech.com

--
Cheers,