Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT
From: "Eric J. Bowman" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:54:38 -0700
David Carlisle wrote:

> > But the default encoding for text/xml is ASCII:
> yes but as I say they encoding can be specified in the headers if it
> differs from that. the files served from the NAG site are ASCII (using
> numeric references for non ascii characters) so no change from the
> default is required.

I didn't suggest otherwise.  I'm pointing out that your lack of XML
Prolog is causing Opera to choose utf-8.  It's a repeatable problem,
and it is solvable (except doing so will put IE 6 into quirks mode).

> > Without the plugin you described, IE 6 is displaying a box on your
> > link, where Opera shows a character.  Since they're both on the same
> > system, it looks to me like IE 6 is coming up ASCII and Opera is
> > coming up Unicode, and you have exactly one Unicode character on
> > that page that isn't ASCII.
>
> various symbols are referenced by character reference, whether they
> display as the correct character or not relates to the default fonts
> used rather than parsing.

But I'm looking at two browsers with the same font settings, on the
same system, with the same fonts available.  The only other explanation
for the box relates to parsing.

-Eric