Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 18:13:22 GMT
> No, on the server an XSLT output processor creates a document.  In a
> browser, an XSLT output processor directly manipulates the DOM
> generated

depends on the browser. IE generates the serialised html from the xslt
output and reparses it.

> but on the client the transformation is A' + B = A because output
> processors in browsers manipulate the loaded DOM directly.

You say that, it may even be true in some processors (although without
looking at the source of any it seems unlikely as the xslt stylesheet
has read access to the entire unchanged, source tree throughout the
entire transformation while it is generating the result tree.
In any case however an actual processor works, the way it is specified
to work is that a new document is created, and processes have to act as
if that were true.

> Using Opera with a clear cache, look at the NAG site and you'll see a
> "flash of unstyled content" upon entry, because the browser renders the
> source document as it's compiling the XSLT.

a slight bug in that browser then but of no real concern to the
architectural discussion.

You didn't answer my question as to what mime type should be used fro
serving docbook documents.

David