Re[2]: [xsl] Alternative to XSLTHL?

Subject: Re[2]: [xsl] Alternative to XSLTHL?
From: Jacek Iwanski <jiva@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 21:48:57 +0200
Hello Dimitre Novatchev,

11 maja 2010 at 21:15:54, you wrote:

> Why does this sound so weird, or am I the only one thinking so?

> While this could be accomplished in XSLT, any other compiler-compiler
> system in any other language could be used, too.

> I've never imagined (and I don't find myself excited) to parse PHP in XSLT.

> On the other side, generating PHP code (and any other PL code) with
> XSLT seems more interesting.

 Let me clarify it.

 DITA XML files will contain technical documentation.

 There will be many contributors with different attitude to complex XML
 tagging, so the common and acceptable authoring technique will be the simplest
 one - to paste PHP code into <codeblock> element.

 Now, to generate HTML and (later) PDF, I can to use
 existing framework (DITA Open Toolkit) or write own stylesheets.
 Neither of which supports syntax highlighting in pure XSLT and I end up with old
 style non-highlighted output, which looks inferior to MediaWiki.

 So I can go with regex (don't know how yet) or preprocess with
 external highlighter (don't want to).

--
Best regards,
Jacek