[xsl] Significant whitespace in attribute values

Subject: [xsl] Significant whitespace in attribute values
From: Michael Müller-Hillebrand <mmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:47:22 +0200
Hello friends,

I maybe tasked with XSL-transforming some XML into a publishable version, but
I shuddered as soon as I saw the input (coming from a custom-built Web CMS).
It is something like the following with significant line feeds in attribute
values:

<items>
 <item name="address" data="
Company Name
Street Address
ZIP City
Country
" />
</items>

I have seen and dealt with line feeds in element content, but this time an
alarm clock rang in my head. Am I right in my interpretation of the XML
standard that attribute content must be normalized by a conforming XML parser
and therefore it would never be possible to write an XSL to locate line feeds
in attribute values?

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#AVNormalize

This would give me a strong and invincible reason to tell the CMS programmers
to change their stuff.

- Michael

Michael M|ller-Hillebrand: Dokumentations-Technologie
Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker
Lvsungen und Training, FrameScript, XML/XSL, Unicode
Blog: http://cap-studio.de/ - Tel. +49 (9131) 28747