Re: [xsl] Significant whitespace in attribute values

Subject: Re: [xsl] Significant whitespace in attribute values
From: Michael Müller-Hillebrand <mmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:54:34 +0200
I would like to add that currently the XML is not accompanied by a DTD or XML
Schema. It seems to me the attribute values are then treated as CDATA.

- Michael

Am 15.07.2010 um 12:47 schrieb Michael M|ller-Hillebrand:

> Hello friends,
>
> I maybe tasked with XSL-transforming some XML into a publishable version,
but I shuddered as soon as I saw the input (coming from a custom-built Web
CMS). It is something like the following with significant line feeds in
attribute values:

> <items>
> <item name="address" data="
> Company Name
> Street Address
> ZIP City
> Country
> " />
> </items>
>
> I have seen and dealt with line feeds in element content, but this time an
alarm clock rang in my head. Am I right in my interpretation of the XML
standard that attribute content must be normalized by a conforming XML parser
and therefore it would never be possible to write an XSL to locate line feeds
in attribute values?

> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#AVNormalize
>
> This would give me a strong and invincible reason to tell the CMS
programmers to change their stuff.