RE: [xsl] Novice Question - matching entire text children

Subject: RE: [xsl] Novice Question - matching entire text children
From: "David Lee" <dlee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:09:59 -0500
RE: Wendell'
----------
Yep ... a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, etc.

It's understandable that the novice might not know that 'string()' is a
function, while 'text()' is a node test. A novice probably isn't going
to know what the difference between a function and a node test is.
---------

The funny thing (knowing quite a lot about XQuery but still hardly anything
about XSLT) is that I know very well the difference between string() and
text()
in XQuery, XDM and XPath.
I know text() is a node and string() is a function.

I was just hoping (and worth wasting 30 seconds trying) that Maybe in some
magic fairyland  XSLT would *evaluate* the match="ELEM/string()" and
determine that indeed that evaluated to a non-empty string and decide to run
the template...  Especially when running into the tidbit in the specs that
match expressions are a 'subset of XPath expressions' ... so hey, toss a
little pixie dust and you never know what comes out ... It would be nice if
it worked ...

More knowledge is even MORE Dangerous !

David A. Lee
dlee@xxxxxxxxxxx