Re: [xsl] Re: replace() and translate() second try

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: replace() and translate() second try
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 22:02:00 +0100
On 04/06/2011 18:35, Kenneth Reid Beesley wrote:
Thanks to Michael Kay and David Carlisle for their responses.

In an example like
	translate(string, "wxyz", "ABCD")

where w, x, y and z are supplementary characters, I find (using saxonhe9-3)
that it works if the supplementary characters are indicated with the hex-escape
&#xHHHHHHHH; notation, but _not_ if the supplementary characters are simply typed in
using a Unicode-savvy text editor that handles supplementary characters.

For the record, this conversation continued off-list and we established that the problem was solved by using the Apache Xerces XML parser in place of the default parser in the JDK. Yet again - please don't use the JDK parser: it's full of bugs, and I don't think Oracle are any more likely to fix them than Sun were.

Michael Kay
Saxonica