Re: [xsl] adjust width of block to previous block

Subject: Re: [xsl] adjust width of block to previous block
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:58:21 -0400
At 2011-07-15 17:50 +0100, Tony Graham wrote:
On Fri, July 15, 2011 4:07 pm, Mathis Mvrke wrote:
> I don't know how to adjust the width of a next block to the previous
> block. I have an external graphic in a block and want the next block
> to have the same size as the block containing the external graphic.

Put them both in a fo:block-container with 'inline-progression-dimension'
set to the width of the graphic, which you are already using to set
'content-width' on the fo:external-graphic.

But I saw that the input width attribute was optional and the comment at the top talked about the width being "dynamic" (which I interpreted as "not known").

If FOP supported 'table-layout="auto"', then you would have had another
option by using a table to contain the graphic and caption.

In my experience relying on "auto" hasn't been very helpful because different vendors interpret differently what to do with the width of columns. As I mentioned in my post regarding a side float, if the text of the caption of the graphic is rendered wider than the width of the graphic, then the table cell might simply stretch.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training