Re: [xsl] Selecting a particular node of an XML generated from Excel

Subject: Re: [xsl] Selecting a particular node of an XML generated from Excel
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:04:23 +0000
On 09/11/2011 21:26, Karlmarx R wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. That pre-processing idea was very useful. I now doing it in two stages. Pre-process to get an XML and process that to get final output. Although I wish to have one signle XSL file to do both together, I noticed the processing time and memory capacity becoming an issue (in my machine) due to big file size (130MB) and so split into step. Is this a general case?

In view of this I have one other question - We have saxon in our poweful server. I don't know the server spec, but generally are there any limitation or recommended file sizes that saxon can handle at ease?

You should reckon that the memory used by Saxon will be about 5 times the source document size. Yes, with a two-phase transformation there's probably a lower overall memory requirement if you run two separate stylesheets in a pipeline, rather than using temporary trees within a single stylesheet. Also the preprocessing code is more easily reusable.

You might consider in the preprocessing step getting rid of content that you know you won't need. In excel there's usually quite a lot of that.

You could also consider using the 'burst-mode streaming' available in Saxon-EE, especially for the preprocessing step. See

http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/sourcedocs/streaming.xml

Michael Kay
Saxonica