Re: [xsl] Using Saxon 2.0 with FOP, XEP, Antenna House

Subject: Re: [xsl] Using Saxon 2.0 with FOP, XEP, Antenna House
From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:07:57 +0200
Very interesting. So you tell me that when the AH command line
interface get this line in a bat file:

AHFCmd -d input.xml  -i AHFSettings.xml  -s stylesheet.xsl  -o output.pdf

the AHFCmd.exe is in reality a "faked" or "improved" command line
interface? Probably a .Net or Java API. and that when I modify that
using the AH config file to change XSLT processor, I'm back at a
"standard" command line interface, and a very slow speed?

I will go and ask AH, if that is the explanation, thanks.

Regards
Jesper Tverskov

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2013, at 12:08, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael
>>
>> I'm not sure that I understand your answer.
>>
>> When I make my XSLT+FO transformation at the command line:
>>
>> MSXML+Antenna House = 1.3s
>> Saxon 9n + Antenna House = 5s
>> Saxon 9j + Antenna House = 2.5s
>>
>> The above figures are a little hard to understand considering that the
>> XSLT step only takes a fraction of the FO step. Somehow AH must be
>> optimized to use MSXML at the command line. I don't know if it is
>> possible to overwin the "Java VM startup" problem as long as I have to
>> use the command line interface of AH?
>>

> I'm afraid I know nothing about AntennaHouse or what facilities it provides
for invoking different XSLT processors. However, a startup cost of 2.5s for
starting up a Java VM doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I'm slightly more
surprised by the 5s for .NET, since I was under the impression .NET startup
costs were lower than Java.

> Are you sure they are invoking MSXML via a command line interface? I would
think it's more likely they are invoking it directly via an API call, in which
case it will be much faster than any processor invoked using via a command
line exec.