Re: [xsl] '"as" SequenceType' vs 'TypeDeclaration' in XPath 3.0?

Subject: Re: [xsl] '"as" SequenceType' vs 'TypeDeclaration' in XPath 3.0?
From: "Tony Graham" <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 12:59:25 -0000 (GMT)
On Fri, January 3, 2014 12:46 pm, Michael Kay wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2014, at 12:08, Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In XPath 3.0 [1], what tips the balance between the occurrence of '"as"
>> SequenceType' in production [64] versus the occurrence of
>> 'TypeDeclaration' in production [3], where 'TypeDeclaration' is defined
>> as
>> '"as" SequenceType' in production [66]?
>>
>> [64] InlineFunctionExpr ::= "function" "(" ParamList? ")" ("as"
>> SequenceType)? FunctionBody
>> [2] ParamList ::= Param ("," Param)*
>> [3] Param ::= "$" EQName TypeDeclaration?
>> [66] TypeDeclaration ::= "as" SequenceType
>
> It's likely to be one of the following:
>
> (a) sometimes the XPath 3.0 grammar is complicated by the desire to make
> it an explicit subset of the XQuery 3.0 grammar
> (b) sometimes the grammar is complicated by the constraints imposed by the
> technology used for processing the grammar files and generating the
> parsing applets
> (c) sometimes the grammar is complicated by the desire to define
> meta-symbols that are useful in defining the semantics
> (d) sometimes (and I suspect here) there is simply an opportunity for
> simplification that has been overlooked.

Thanks.  FWIW, it is the same in XQuery 3.0 [1].  I'll post another bug
report marked 'trivial' and let the editors work out if it's as trivial as
we think it is.

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming
       Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-30/#id-inline-func