Re: [xsl] Context node versus current streaming position

Subject: Re: [xsl] Context node versus current streaming position
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:43:58 +0000
It's also possible, of course, for the context item to be in a completely
different document, or to be an atomic value:

<xsl:stream href="data.xml">
   <xsl:for-each select="/root/element">
     <xsl:analyze-string select="." regex="....">

I haven't actually got any tests for that case yet, so I don't know if it will
work in Saxon.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

On 31 Jan 2014, at 10:34, Costello, Roger L. <costello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I learned something neat from Michael Kay.
>
> I learned that context node and current streaming position are not always
the same.

> Suppose the XSLT processor is streaming through an input document and has
arrived at element N. The <N> element  is the current streaming position.

> Now suppose the XSLT program instructs the XSLT processor: from your current
streaming position climb the XML tree and return the name of each ancestor
element:

> 	<xsl:for-each select="ancestor::*">
> 	    <xsl:value-of select="name(.)" />
> 	</xsl:for-each>
>
> The context position changes with each iteration of the for-each statement.
But the current streaming position remains the same.