Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 16:34:35 -0400
Hi Ihe,

You write:
> It's part of a languages PR that the small subset of the language
> that is exercised most frequently doesn't contain surprises.

Assuming we accept this to be true (as I am willing to do), then the
question in that-other-thread-over-there (not the OP's question, but
one you raised implicitly) might be recast as whether 'text()' is or
should be in the part of the language that is exercised most
frequently.

I don't think it is, or should be, which is part of the reason for
this-thread-here, and I think that developers who think it is are
either mistaken (they would be better off using other means to get the
job done), or they have special reasons and use cases that account for
their different perception (in which case they're mistaken about how
typical their use cases are, and they would benefit from a wider
understanding of where, how and why XSLT is used out here in the big
world).

In particular, in my view, there's no good case for using 'text()'
anywhere in an XSLT Hello World, unless you count where it appears
(once) among the built-in templates, which yes beginners should be
using. This is irrespective of whether the purpose of the Hello World
is to illustrate syntax, or just offer a place to start turning the
crank.

Cheers, Wendell