Re: [xsl] Approach to transform 250GB xml data

Subject: Re: [xsl] Approach to transform 250GB xml data
From: "Abel Braaksma (Exselt) abel@xxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 15:14:39 -0000
About:

> others are impossible (e.g. sorting).

I beg to differ. At XML London 2014, I demonstrated an approach to use a
two-pass method with slicing and then xsl:merge, to do a streamable sort.
Indeed, it is impossible with just standard features to do it in one pass, but
still, in terms of "possible" or "impossible", with just XSLT and the
willingness to do it in just two passes (which I believe is not much for such
a complex task), you can.

And in a situation that the number of required slices can be determined
statically and can be selected (i.e., as in selecting all lines starting with
"a" or "b"), and are manageable in memory, you could conjure up a solution
with xsl:fork and so it in one pass (assuming your processor supports xsl:fork
the way it is intended, the spec does not require a one-pass approach there
and I doubt it even possible in all streaming scenarios).

Cheers,

Abel Braaksma
Exselt XSLT 3.0 streaming processor
http://exselt.net