Re: [xsl] namespace problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] namespace problem
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:49:29 -0000
Hi Ruud,

While in Wolfgang's demo, he declared the default namespace repeatedly
-- probably in order to demonstrate how to do so -- in his solution he
could have done just what you did, with a single declaration at the
top. In that case, it would be in scope throughout the document (not
just in the fragments where it was declared), only overridden in the
single place where another declaration claimed the same prefix (or
lack of a prefix, in this case).

As to your question (how to match in the xhtml namespace only), one
helpful insight could be that the prefixes used in the XSLT do *not*
have to be the same as the prefixes used in the source documents
(which, indeed, may not always be consistent with one another either).
Or anywhere else. Only the namespaces must correspond; the prefixes
are only a way to get to the namespaces.

So neither of these would match 'char' in no namespace; one matches
'char' in the xhtml namespace ... and so does the other:

<xsl:template match="char"
 xpath-default-namespace="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>
   ... matches 'char' in the xhtml namespace

<xsl:template match="xh:char"
  xmlns:xh="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>
  ... matches 'char' in ... the xhtml namespace

Indeed, a helpful processor, when it sees both of these together in
the same XSLT, will warn you that you have a template clash. (Try it.
:-)

Cheers, Wendell

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Ruud Grosmann r.grosmann@xxxxxx

XML | XSLT | electronic publishing