Re: [xsl] normalize-space() except ...

Subject: Re: [xsl] normalize-space() except ...
From: "Syd Bauman s.bauman@xxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 16:56:45 -0000
I like what Liam is recommending better than the other solutions
(including my own), but I think it is addressing a slightly different
problem than what OP posted (at least, slightly different than what I
perceive the OP posted -- I could be off. :-), although it may well
be the problem OP really *has*.

Crism's algorithm addresses the same problem mine does. A quick test
says Terry's does, too, although it seems a bit complicated to me.[1]
One of the things I like about my "append delimiters,
normalize-space(), remove delimiters" approach is that because it
uses only simple XPath 1.0 functions, it can be used in XSLT 1.0 and
I imagine is very fast. (I think Crism's approach probably has
similar advantages.)

The following is a complete XSLT 1.0 program that regularizes
whitespace as I think the OP was requesting.