Re: [xsl] XSLT 3.0: Question about: Disabling dynamic evaluation unconditionally

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 3.0: Question about: Disabling dynamic evaluation unconditionally
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 21:02:24 -0000
As I understand it, there are two kinds of anxiety about xsl:evaluate that led
to these provisions being included in the spec: anxieties that dynamic XPath
evaluate could cause a security risk (through executing untrusted code), and
anxiety about the necessity to include a complete XPath parser in the
execution environment, especially in environments with limited resources such
as mobile or embedded devices. I think the working group therefore felt that
(a) there should always be a way for users (or system managers) to disable the
feature, and (b) on some environments, such as mobile devices, the feature
might not be available at all.

Michael Kay
Saxonica
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx
+44 (0) 118 946 5893

On 15 Feb 2015, at 17:52, Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx

> Hi,
> At the end of Section "10.4.4 xsl:evaluate as an optional feature" of
> the 2nd Last Call of the W3C XSLT 3.0 specification

(http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-xslt-30-20141002/#evaluation-as-optional-featur
e)