Re: [xsl] Table structure checking, how?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Table structure checking, how?
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 19:56:33 -0000
Michael,

Take a look here:

https://github.com/wendellpiez/JATSPreviewStylesheets

(If you have trouble seeing it let me know.)

In particular you can see code inside the Schematron branch, although
you will also need the XSLT branch.

Its approach is to create a normalized expanded version of the table
against which rules can be checked. Then your actual table elements
(rows and cells) can refer into the expansion, as a kind of map. (So,
the Schematron can call XPath as supplemented by XSLT.) This includes
indicators of cell row and column coverage as well as creation of the
ghost table cells that are a notable feature of OASIS/CALS tables.

If nothing else this may be worth looking at. You may need to tweak
your settings in Schematron to allow-foreign elements (for the XSLT
bits).

Enjoy,
Wendell

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 3:38 AM, Michael MC<ller-Hillebrand
mmh@xxxxxxxxx <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We came across a CALS table with a "missing" cell in the first row, like
this:

> <tgroup cols="2">
>   <tbody>
>     <row>
>       <!-- MISSING second column cell -->
>     </row>
>     <row>
>       <!-- skipped first cell because of morerows -->
>     </row>
>   </tbody>
> </tgroup>
>
> This table is technically valid, but creates problems when processed
further.

> Are you aware of a tool or method to check that the table data is correct
regarding any available colspan or rowspan definitions? I fear there is no way
to have that checked using just e.g. XPath.

> My next step would be to look at Andrew Welch's table normalizer, which I
have used in a number of projects. It is currently based on the assumption
that the first row of a table is complete (after expanding any colspan
definitions).

> http://andrewjwelch.com/code/xslt/table/table-normalization.html
>
> Any hints are very welcome,
>
> - Michael