Re: [xsl] XSLT 3.0 references?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 3.0 references?
From: "list.mu@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 22:30:20 -0000
Hi Mark

Not sure you are drawing the right conclusion from this.
(Also not talking high numbers anyway, so maybe irrelevant)

For the past 10 years I believe that I trained a good 5 people at least per
year in projects,
Over half of them really new in the game (often greenfield projects) the
others junior / medior that wanted to step up (after project audits or
performance updates)

Some of the 'old fart' books on XSLT2.0 get you a long way teaching the
basics. Other available resources have been mentioned already. 2 projects
(100+ person days of my contribution) involved XSLT streaming. There are some
XML Prague sessions by Abel Braaksma and/or Michael Kay that would get you
started with streaming, if that is what you are after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeSQ4ompB1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzGZvh-FbNw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7pqUqO9rGg
to name some

And more general, Liam Quin did a webinar for Markup UK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8087hIYX2M

Even newcomers can get by decently with an XSLT 2.0 book, some training and
some reference material, after they grasped the basics. I believe getting the
basics right, is most crucial actually.

The frequency of former project related requests I get, proof to me that most
of the former trainees are still pretty active... but as you don't see them on
forums, or mailing lists... all of this happens pretty much under the radar.
Though these numbers are not impressive at all (even stemming from a single
person experience), my hypothesis would be that old books sales and software
sales could be a better metric for newcomers than the availability of new
books would be

Hope this helps
Best regards

Geert Bormans