[xsl] What is the best way to get the value of a leaf element and store it into a variable?

Subject: [xsl] What is the best way to get the value of a leaf element and store it into a variable?
From: "Roger L Costello costello@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:02:43 -0000
Hi Folks,

I have a variable which holds a leaf element:

	$leaf-elmt

I want to store the value of the leaf element into this variable:

	$leaf-elmt-value

What is the best way to declare $leaf-elmt-value and assign it the value of
$leaf-elmt? Here are 3 ways of doing it:

<xsl:variable name="leaf-elmt-value" select="$leaf-elmt" />
<xsl:variable name="leaf-elmt-value" select="$leaf-elmt/text()"/>
<xsl:variable name="leaf-elmt-value" select="data($leaf-elmt)" />

Are there other ways?

What is the best way?

I have deliberately avoided defining what "best way" means. I am hoping that
you will tell me what it means.

/Roger